Our March Broadcast featured 3 Pros - the subject is RV's and Poop!
Paula talks Potty Talk ... RV Potty Talk that is. Thetford’s Paula Pacholke-Dumont, the head chemist at Thetford Corporation walks us through this tricky subject.
Thetford manufactures the #1 RV Toilet chemical in the world and has for 50 years. They know their stuff inside and out.
Questions our pros addressed on the subject of smelly Poop!
Paula how did you end up in this part of the world of chemistry? Paula was approached by Thetford about 6 years to be their head chemist. She never thought she'd be involved with 'poop'.
(Bob) How closely do you work with the engineering team at Thetford? (Paula) - We are trying to forge that alliance with our OEMs. We are trying to work with them to do a better job of ventilation and plumbing.
I gather that toilet chemical is not your only area of interest at Thetford? Oh yes, our team is involved in all the chemical, cleaning, wet and dry applications that involve many applications.
Do ice cubes in the black tank really help knock off the stuff? That is a myth, no, ice cubes do not help clean out the black tank.
Can you take the end user through the process for the new RV user? Paula explains how and how often the chemical gets into the black tank. There is also a gray tank sanitizer product and an enzyme blaster for tough situations. Usually the AquaKem is all you'll need.
Much more in this episode. Watch and leave your comments on the Facebook feed for us to see and answer!
Our February Broadcast featured 3 Pros - the subject is Campgrounds
How important do you think it is to have an electric surge protector on your RV? Rick says when he upgrades his RV and has more electronics, he will certainly have one. Bob agrees. With the sophistication of devices in new RVs, it's a must! If you don't have one, Jeff suggests an alternative.
With the rise of popularity of true vintage RVs, are existing campgrounds seeing them as a problem? Some older RVs are not allowed in campgrounds. Our pros explore both sides of this tricky question.
Questions our pros addressed on the subject of campgrounds
From what you see from the campground and the consumer site, what is that one thing a campground can do to improve? Bob Zagami provided a very interesting perspective and answer. Listen and see what you think.
When using a state or national park, do you see these parks anywhere close to keeping up to modernization? These parks were not built for today's RV and is still a big issue. Listen for more insights to this question.
What is the importance of campgrounds and RV Dealers working together? In New England, NERVDA is driving developing a synergy between the campground industry and RV Dealer industry which makes a much better experience for the consumer. Rick says it's happening more often now.
Do most of these campgrounds provide their campers with access to a mobile RV service guy? They don't usually provide it upon checking in but they can provide it when necessary. Rick shares a story on this subject. Bob sees it as a great opportunity for campgrounds to hire RV Techs to be on-site.
When campgrounds come up for sale, is there a demand for campground ownership right now? Well, the answer is yes and no. Bob would like to see more real estate people involved as a campground would be a solid investment.
Much more in this episode. Watch and leave your comments on the Facebook feed for us to see!
- Hi Jeff, I read that the new tax bill excludes towable RV units for interest deductions on taxes. Does not affect motorized units. What have you heard?
- I have a 30 amp travel trailer and different campgrounds kick the GFCI plug off. Dealer says it is a faulty system in the state parks. Thoughts?
- Are all slide-outs basically the same?
- A friend plugged in a 50amp cord in a campground and fried their electronics. Do I need a surge protector?
- Wondering if we should put antifreeze into the elbows of Lacey between trips. Even though we let the water out at the low water point, might there still be water in the elbows? Believe it or not, it can be 70 during the day but below freezing during the night.
- I have A 72 Airstream and I was just in the wildfire 2 weeks ago in San deigo county It survived I am having it inspected wheel barring tires etc they are also going to wash it . Anything else I should do the mechanic use to work for Airstream?
- Can you recommend an inverter for us? We have the solar panel that gives us 130watts?
- On laminated walls, is it common for the rear wall to not be laminated like the sides?
- Regarding the R-Pod, do you recommend a sway control system for it?
- I switched to nitrogen tires and have been impressed by the results. Thoughts?
- I'd like your advice about using more than one lube disc on the fifth wheel king pin?
- Can you tell me the pros and cons of welded floor joist structures vs. L-bracket screw and glue construction?
Dec 6th - guest Jose Moniz
- Do most of your sponsors come to you or do you have to approach companies and ask them for sponsorship? Ever been turned down by someone?
- Jose, how did you come up with the idea for the show?
- Why is it at times we see the same show a few weeks apart?
- Your web site shows the program airs in Our Louisiana area, but how come we can't get it?
- It looks like all your advertisers are RV based companies.... is that on purpose?
- What is the best solution to check and inflate the inside rear tires? We've tried valve cap extensions both braided and otherwise and find we lose air with them. We seem to always have to remove the exterior wheel liners.
- My husband & I are looking to buy our 1st RV. We’re retired and looking for a preowned Class C Winnebago. What’s your opinion regarding how old a vehicle we should buy and how much mileage is too much mileage?
- What do you think of RV Inspections before buying from a private seller?
Rollin' On Live Presents...
A Special Feature Facebook Live with
Jeff Johnston, Associate Producer of Rollin’ On TV
Mark and Dawn Polk of RV Education 101.
WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 8TH, 5PM PST, 8PM EST
November 8th Special Edition
- Our next Special Edition will be with Mark and Dawn Polk of RV Education - Nov 8th!
- Jeff, we can't get the black tank light indicator to get below 2 lights no matter what we do. We tried ice cubes in the tank, chemical, flushing..
- Is there danger of LCD TV's freezing in temperatures below 40F?
- The water heater in our 3 year old RV seems to be having trouble powering up when the propane level is low.
- Our next Special Edition will be with Mark and Dawn Polk of RV Education - Nov 8th!
- A campground neighbor shared he will not power up his frig with propane while traveling because when filling vehicle with gas there is danger due to propane pilot light. What's the scoop on this?
- My motorhome is garaged for the winter. Is it good to keep it up on the leveling jacks or just sitting on the tires?
- Our power awning makes noise when opening and closing and we wonder if we should be lubricating it?
- I have a '97 Fleetwood Bounder, can you tell me if the power steering pump operates the brakes as well?
- We plan to take a 2nd full propane tank on our trip. Where should we store it?
- We have a 2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD. What is your opinion of the Safety Plus Steering Stabilizers?
- After you clean the awning, should it be completely dry before rolling it back up?
- What's the best product to use to take off watermarks off an RV?
October 4th SPECIAL EDITION
Bob Zagami joined us on our first Special Edition. Bob has been reporting on the RV industry since 1996 and has been an active RVer for over 40 years. He has been the editor of RV News, Pop-Up Times and RV Enthusiast.
He is a contributing editor at Family Motor Coaching Magazine, frequent blogger and contributor at RV Daily Report, principal consultant at RV Insights and serves as Executive Director of the New England RV Dealers Association. Reach Bob at 617-974-3739 or firstname.lastname@example.org
How to buy RVs from Dealer Questions
- We are first time buyers and our friends said we should rent before we buy. Is that good advice?
- If I'm buying a new RV and have a trade in, to get the best deal, am I better off selling the old RV myself or.... trading it in. What's the dealers take on that?
- I've heard that if you buy an RV at one dealer and you have warranty problems you have to go back to the dealer you bought the RV from. Is that true?
- Can you save money when buying an RV at year end when new models are coming out? What about RV show specials. Are they real discounts or just 'come-instead to get you to buy something else at a head tier price?
- Do dealers resent you wanting to have someone check out an RV they are selling?
- if you were buying a used RV from a dealer would you take it to an outside RV mechanic to check it out before you bought?
RV Show and Technical Questions
- Shows are very busy, and sometimes very confusing, what’s the best way to manage the short amount of time you are at the show?
- Do you have any tips for somebody attending their very first RV show?
- When you go to an RV show, do they have technicians there to answer technical questions that a sales person may not be able to answer?
- When we bring our new RV home, what are the first three things we should do?
- Where can I find additional education and training information to supplement what the dealer has provided to us? (RV Education 101)
- I’m about to get my trailer ready for winter. Should I check the roof and window seals now, or wait until spring? I use a waterproof RV cover.
- I need to service my wheel bearings. Are the benefits of using synthetic lubricant worth the extra cost?
- Announcing the special show with Bob Zagami, Oct 4th
- We just bought a 28 foot travel trailer and need a generator to run our CPaps at night while we sleep, as well as a nebulizer for our daughter to do her breathing treatments for her cystic fibrosis.
- What are the main things people forget when winterizing?
- I want to install a platform for a 4000 watt generator to the back of my rig, thoughts?
- Congrats to winner Joseph Koczik for his answer to our question.
- Our RV is solar ready and we want to put solar panels on, thoughts?
- I've been told not to set a battery directly on concrete, a piece of plywood between the battery and concrete! Is this a wives tale or true.
- When we camp where cable tv is available, how do you change the tv connection from rooftop antenna to the cable connection on side of trailer?
- With all the fires caused by RV refrigerators, is it safer to use my RV refrigerator on electric only and keep the propane tank turned off?
- What do you think of the magnetic window screens?
- Announcing the special show with Bob Zagami, Sept. 27th
- What do you suggest about dewinterizing tanks leaving Toronto, Ontario for Disney mid-April - yay or nay?
- Like others hate to dump tanks. Why can't there be paid staff to do that for you? Like a dock boy?
- Should I lubricate the slide and seals?
- Can I use sheet material to replace the bath surround?
- Here is the link to AM Solar that Jeff talked about. http://amsolar.com/
- How often should I repack wheel bearings on 1969 Aloha trailer?
- We saw a 2016 R-Pod & Jeep going over 70 mph. They swayed more than we did and didn't have weight distribution bars, thoughts?
- We want to replace the medicine cabinet? How do we find the studs?
- Can my 30 amp generator work for my 50 amp new fifth wheel?
- Do I need to rotate the tires on my triple axle fifth wheel trailer?
- Our 9 year old unit has seals cracking. Can we fix ourselves?
- We've heard to use hydrogen peroxide rather than chlorine to disinfect water tanks. Thoughts?
- What do you think of Valterra sewer macerator?
- Best product to remove oxidation?
- What is the best product to prep a rubber roof?
- Can we put a regular home TV into our RV?
- What kind of tools should I bring in my tool kit?
- Should I be careful about purchasing special TP instead of regular TP?
- Which braking system would you recommend?
- I want to install a 40amp fan.
- Other than chains and locks, any thoughts on how to keep our generator from getting stolen?
- How much room is needed for a 5th wheel between the bedliner and the trailer overhang?
- We have A Jayco Alante 31 -
what kind of steering stabilization should we get?
- Can I change my 30amp to 50amp service?
- Where can I find parts for a Carriage RV since they are out of business?
- My motorhome battery is discharging too much.
- My older motorhome can't get tv reception.
- Is a 3k generator enough to run a 13.5k air conditioner?
- How to check & clean rust on RV frig.
- Where to check for insect nests.
- How to deal with connection corrosion.
- And the winner this week is.... Bob Zagami!
- Best way to prep new water/waste system
- New shows and new contests
- How much should a 150' 30 amp extension cord cost?
- My 5th wheel hitch makes popping noise
- Best way to set up friction sway control
- What is proper tension for weight distribution hitches?
- We have AGM batteries, one battery shorting out. What could be going wrong?
- Do any of the RV manufacturers give tours of their facilities?
- I just bought a used small RV. Can you tell me what you think is the best brand of tires to buy?
- Can you talk about nitrogen filled tires. How to maintain? What if there is a flat?
- How much do slide awnings cost?
- And the winner of our contest this week is....Tami Meek Shaw for her answer of 'Open House'.
- My RV frig is having trouble getting cold enough. Help?
- When dry camping some of our plugs didn't work, all on one side.
- Question regarding moisture inside the RV.
- Is it true that leaving RV frig on will extend the life of the frig?
- Gray tank smells like rotten onion. Help?
- My roof separated from the aluminum strip that holds it down and wood is a little rotten underneath.
- How to turn your extinguisher upside down and tap on it with a rubber mallet.
- And the winner this week is.... Brian Dunigan!
- Will antifreeze harm my water heater?
- Will air bags help my sagging truck when towing?
- Is Rhino Eco-Coat® roof coating good on older unit?
- Is a spoiler wind-resistance worth it?
- Will high altitude have an impact on horsepower and GVWR?.
- And the winner this week is.... Steve Renna!
- Can I put larger tires on my trailer?
- My RV furnace is stuttering.
- My Atwood hot water heater turns off.
- Are single or double paned windows better?
- Can power stabilizer jacks be used for leveling?
- Will an RV frig work if rig is not level?
- And the winner of this week's question is...Tom Smith!
- Announcement of the big Carefree of Colorado Awning Winner
- New Contest to start July 1st
- A San Diego Destination Spot
- Thoughts on travel trailer with 3500 GVWR limitation
- How much is a new rubber RV roof?
- How to find our show
Congrats to our Rollin' On Live Contest Winners!
Congrats to winners, and ROTV friends, Jason and Tami Ciastko!
Our Rollin' On TV coffee mug travels to Belarus thanks to our new friend, Ivan, whose family we met during out Vintage Cruiser road test. The sign welcomes people to his home town, Kuritichi.
Norm Tyche who says he is a 'Big Fan! won a pair of our mugs. Congrats and thank you Norm!
Michael Sullivan won a pair of our mugs AND a Righty-Ro T-shirt!
Steve Renna won a Carefree of Colorado Ground Blanket with his answer of Shasta!
Bob Zagami won a set of mugs with his answer of Aqua-Kem!
Tom Smith won a set of our Rollin' on TV mugs for his answer of Can Ham!
Jennifer Eccleston won a set of our Rollin' on TV mugs!
Adam of Point Lookout, NY won a set of our Rollin' On TV mugs!
Marshall Cavit won the Carefree of Colorado Power RV Awning!
James P. won a Carefree of Colorado ground blanket!
- How do I get rid of funky water smell?
- Cleaning black water holding tank tip
- Do RV hot water tanks have an anode rod in them?
- I have a 33' 5th wheel trailer - can I install a hitch receiver for a removable platform?
- Can making RV modifications affect value?
- Where can I install a 2nd fire extinguisher?
- Should I store my slider in or out?
- Does a 5th wheel hitch have a life span?
- What are your thoughts on a Murphy Bed?
- I was told I had to stop at a weigh station. What are your thoughts on that?
- Jeff answers these and more on this episode of Rollin' On Live
- What is your favorite RV type and size?
- Is there any way to get out a scratch from a gel coat smooth side?
- Comment about rubber cracking on valve stems
- Rear view camera question
- Question about a rating stamp
- Gate valves tight - can they be fixed?